Saturday, August 14, 2010

The worst diet in the world.

WARNING: This posts mentions boobs. So if that weirds you out, turn away now.

After battling yeast diaper rashes for months and months and then finally conquering those, I figured out that I have what the breastfeeding community calls intraductal thrush/yeast. Intraductal meaning it's moved inside my milk ducts. Thrush is normally a term for a yeast overgrowth in the mouth and can be a common breastfeeding problem in children who are nursing. They get the yeast in the mouth which manifests in white patches on their tongue and gums. This is easily transferable to the mother's nipple (yes, I said nipple) because yeast thrives in moist, warm environments and is fed by sugar (of which breast milk has plenty).

This whole battle began just after 3.0 turned a year old and I went through kidney stone surgery and received antibiotics. Now, just as a note to you women out there who might be pregnant and are planning on breastfeeding, a word of advice - DO NOT take unnecessary antibiotics. Avoid them like the plague and question the necessity of them with your doctor before he/she prescribes them to you. The same goes for prescribing them for your child. They are a world of trouble and pain waiting to happen. In my case, I needed them because I was going through surgery but they still effed me up.

Anyway, back on track. After four months of constant pain and waking up for hours in the middle of the night because I could not sleep through it, I made my first call to a lactation consultant. Yes, I'm one of those crazies who is still nursing my 18 month old even though he can walk on his own and eat solid food. If you need me to justify my reasons for that than you haven't done enough research into the benefits of breast milk or the average age of child led weaning. I'm not going to justify my decision, it is what it is. The lactation consultant suggested doing a heavy dose of flucanozole, and oral anti-fungal medication. That helped some but certainly didn't take it away. So I decided to take the next step and cut out all sugar, carbohydrates, dairy and a whole list of other foods from my diet. In case you are wondering here is a list of Foods To Avoid when on this diet. Pretty much everything enjoyable in life, no?

After almost a month of being on this diet I can say that the pain has stopped, I can sleep at night, I feel much healthier and as an added bonus I've lost 6 lbs. We are eating a whole bunch of vegetables that I never would have thought to have picked up before and we've brought experimentation back into our kitchen. 2.0 is having a blast concocting different dishes with all sorts of spices and has now discovered that he looooves fenugreek (a common spice in Indian cuisine). He's totally on board and supportive and is slimming down himself.

The hardest part of this diet, and probably most, is finding a balance between adhering to it and discovering treats that you can allow yourself to have. I'm sure most diets fail because a person eventually gives up on not having a snickers bar or 85% dark chocolate, in my case, and then they buy $50 worth of sweets, put in The Notebook and binge on Hagan Daaz ice cream while bawling their eyes out.

I've been experimenting over the last three weeks with finding my allowable sweet treat. It's come in the form of a delectable truffle ball. It's vegan, raw, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free and completely guilt free. The only questionable ingredient would be the cocoa powder but carob just isn't cutting it for me. bleh.

So here's the recipe base in case you want it. I used a mixture of Stevia and Xylitol for sweeteners. I would highly recommend doing research on these because they both have incredibly low glycemic indexes. Stevia contains virtually no calories because it's made from a leaf. Xylitol has 2/3 the calories of regular sugar, burns much slower, and is actually GOOD for your teeth. And heck no, this kid didn't eat any of these. These are Mama's treats. He gets the frozen blueberries that stain his fingers purple and fruit leathers.


Truffle Balls

2tsp Tahini (I use raw almond butter due to allergy)

1 T Yacon Syrup or you could sub stevia

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp cinnamon

2T coconut

1/2 cup carob powder

2 T + milk alternative (almond is yummy)


Combine all ingredients except milk & carob. Add carob alternatively with milk until consistency of fudge. Roll into balls & roll in coconut. I sometimes add coconut to the mix as well.

Other yummy additions are hemp seed & coconut.

3 comments:

  1. sounds you like went through quite a lot of pain! I envy you for having the discipline to go on such a diet, I couldn't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think I could either Sara! But once I went to the grocery store and started meal planning it's actually not that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a site that can help with recipes and meal planning to battle candida: http://www.myfoodmyhealth.com/Meal-Plans-Diets/Conditions/Candidiasis.php

    ReplyDelete